Friday, April 1, 2011

Hearing Vs. Listening. Yes Theres A Difference !

      As missionaries we are taught of the importance of listening during lessons and discussions. Not just following what the people we are teaching are saying but really listening. "Listening is key" I heard that so many times in the MTC and I still do now out in the field. Whenever I would hear that I thought to myself: "Wow, ya think ?" Its obvious thats it is important to listen ! But sometimes we don't always allow ourselves to hear what we need to hear. I certainly am guilty of this.
      My Mom used to tell me that I had selective hearing. Some things I would totally understand and it would be crystal clear but then others would go right through my head, mainly because I would let them. Are we all guilty of this sometimes?
     
        I learned fast of the importance of listening. Not just hearing things but really listening and understanding. The more I listen during lessons and discussions, the more I feel the spirit, the more I understand, and the more I know what to say.
      I think it is said very well by one of the world's greatest musicians:
                                                "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
                                                             -Jimi Hendrix

      I stand by this statement 100%. I hope we can all strive to listen rather than just hear. The Holy Ghost speaks to us by a still small voice. All of us, everyday, are faced with choices and challenges. Our Heavenly Father is always trying to help us and show us things but how much will we really hear if we are just hearing and not listening ?
       I testify that there is wisdom in listening. As we listen and obey the promptings of the Holy Ghost we will be blessed and be able to recognize more fully when our Heavenly Father is trying to speak to us. I pray we can all listen and recognize when he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment